CMUG ∴ Mac Links
This page is a collection of suggested resources from our members.
If you find a broken link please report it to our .
Mac Tech Help
- Apple's Support Site Index - Straight from the horse's mouth...This is Apple's online support site.
- MacFixit - A daily source of news relating to the Mac OS: including but not limited to updaters, fixes and bug reports
- MacintoshOS Compendium - Interactive OS discussions, covers everything from options to technical infomation. Now you can be heard putting in your 2 cents worth.
- MacInTouch, By Ric Ford - A great daily read, Ric Ford provides short, key news blurbs from product announcements to updates and late-breaking news in the Mac world. And provides quick links to the in-depth story or the source for each.
- Mac|Life Magazine - Popular magazine that just about started the "CD with your magazine" bundle, offering a new CD each month. Wacky, wild and most certainly pro-Mac. Some how-to's, also. A good one to check out.
- MacWorld Online - The first major Macintosh devoted magazine (launched in 1984, monthly) is now online. A good place for reviews, features
- MacMinute - Lots of updates, lots of good news.
- The Unofficial Apple Weblog - Top notch news with a personal touch.
- Apple Computer - Headquarters of the company that started it all. Check in at least weekly to see what's up at Apple.
- The Apple Store - Apple's online store for all Mac products, key peripherals, even refurbished or clearance deals -- and, of course, you can order then and there.
- QuickTime - The multimedia whirlwind of the Mac OS, plays movies, sounds, MPEG and MP3 files, live streaming, and can leap over tall buildings. This is Apple's official QuickTime site.
- Apple's Download Site - Get the Macintosh software you need here!
- Steve Wozniak - Now a school teacher, Steve Wozniak was the brains and genius behind the first personal computer, the Apple I, and co-founder (with Steve Jobs) of Apple Computer. Steve is still the outgoing, accessible fellow that he always was, as you will see at his website. Go Woz!
- Guy Kawasaki - Find out what the Original Mac Evangelist is up to now.
- Version Tracker - Best place on the Internet to find the latest upgrades to all your commercial and shareware software.
- MacSpeech - Speak Different! A good ol' Mac boys company that was in the process of creating a new dictation application for the Mac BEFORE Dragon Systems finally jumped on the bandwagon to do the same. It also has extensive command and control capabilities. Compare to see how it enhances Apple's offerings (above). Free demo version of ListenDo!
- Firefox - A fantastic web browser for Mac OS X.
- Netscape Communicator - The alternative to Microsoft Internet Explorer (browser), and the one that took the internet by storm. Latest version is 7.0 at this site. Communicator is a suite of internet tools, including a browser, AOL Instant Messenger (chat), and web e-mail, among others.
- Shareware.com - The name says it all. If you are new, shareware is a "try it before you buy it" honor system. Download it, try it... if you keep it, pay. If you don't, trash it. This site has tons of Mac and (shudder!) PC stuff. (searches download.com)
- Mac.org - Another spot to locate some good shareware. Organized by categories (System, Internet, Utilities, etc.), with brief descriptions of each.
- MacTech - Site dedicated Macintosh programmers, developers. With access to a world of reference material, a great starting place for the beginner and expansive enough for the experienced developer.
- The world's "Most Hugest Page o' Mac Facts" - They say: Arguably the largest list extant of substantiated statistics on the superiority of the Macintosh computer. This IS good! I'm drooling already...
- "Switch" Ammo" - Here is a site you can visit for a massive conglomeration of surveys, articles, and factoids relevant to the question of choosing Macs over PCs.
Corvallis and Oregon
- The City of Corvallis - The city's official site to see why this mid-Willamette Valley college town is such a special place. Even locals might find something new here.
- Oregon State University - The home of the Beavers, and a pretty good agricultural school. This is the place that put Corvallis on the map.
- Corvallis & Benton County Library - Visitors rave about our library, and for good reasons. A very modern but cozy place to snuggle up with a good book. Or log on to the 'net. The library uses PCs...but we still love them.
- The Corvallis Mac Store - Corvallis' only Apple-only vendor, and a longtime loyal supporter of CMUG. Need to see an iMac for yourself, test out a G3 or feel the beauty of a PowerBook? Then drop into the place that has it all Macintosh.
- Powell's Book Store - Yes, the big one in Portland. BEFORE Barnes & Noble. Hmmm, I wonder if they still have "Green Eggs & Ham?"
- Darkside Cinema - The "alternative" movie house in downtown Corvallis where you can catch the non-mainstream offerings (like foreign films) as well as the popular. This link takes you to their monthly calendar.
- Oregon Parks -Parks around the great state of Oregon. Something we are well-known for, and proud of. Keep 'em green & clean.
- PEAK - An ISP provider that teaches, and is a great resource for education. A home-grown startup company that was a part of Oregon State University in the beginning.
When it's "all in the family" you have to be proud. So proud we are to showcase the following web sites or pages, which were created by CMUG members (some may be featured in other categories above). A wide range of talents and goals can easily be seen from link to link... so have fun exploring. And if you think someone did a fine job, let 'em know!